Thursday, March 12, 2009

Please Passengers Proceed

I finally made it to Spain! I sort of did it in a roundabout way and connected through Barcelona to Madrid. The airport etiquette is much different than I´m used to. When I boarded the connection, instead of boarding by rows or zones like I´m used to. Its a free for all run to the door and board as fast as you can. Also, when getting off the plane, instead of deplaning row by row, its a free for all who can run into the aisle and down it the fastest. I literally had to look for gap and run into it, and run with the flow of traffic before getting plowed by the people behind me. From Madrid I made my way to the bus station. Then I finally arrived at Salamanca. From the outskirts you could already see the beautiful architecture it had to offer. Inside the city is much more amazing.

I took a taxi to my apartment in Plaza Mayor. If you don´t know what this is, I suggest renting Vantage Point, which was filmed here and around Salamanca. Its a large pedestrian square outlined with cafes. In the middle groups of friends just pick out a piece of ground and plop down to chat or people watch. My apartment is right above all of this. The owner of the place gave me a tour, a tiny little place that has everything I need including a washing machine in the kitchen! Maybe not as exciting as it sounds, but from what I knew the nearest laundrymat was a few blocks away, and I wasn´t looking forward to draggin my luggage there.

My first day was relaxing enough...I simply unpacked, and made some phone calls. I awoke today to a large group of people chanting. When I opened my bedroom window I was excited to see my first protest! I couldn´t totally read the sign, but something about the education system. This gave me flashbacks to when I was 5 and in Peru and was scared to death by the crowds. I ran and hid under the bed at that time because I thought the police was the army. heh. This time around it was much more exciting. Had I been a bit faster, I would have joined, but I was half asleep as they passed by. I wandered around the square and found a supermarket. I think I lingered too long and walked around the same aisles too many times because one of the clerks began to follow me around the store. I assume they thought I was trying to steal, in truth, I have never seen most of these products, and I need to attempt to read them before buying. I did try to grab a bag of grapes and run to the cashier, but the lady stopped me to weigh and price them. Who knew.

This evening I attempted to get myself lost. Every block you walk there is a different church. However, since I´m staying in the main square of town, it was always easy to find my way back. I´ve found several bars and restaurants I will like to try. I also found this wonderful internet cafe only two doors down from my apartment, and its open til 2 a.m. Actually, most things in this city open late and stay open all night, so finally! A place on my time schedule!

The only interesting thing that has happened to me today is that the red cross boys keeps stopping me. I allow this because they are young and cute, but I have no idea how to flirt in my broken Spanish (help me mom!). They, along with the cab driver, think I´m a student here. My first reaction is hooray! I look young! However, when I scan the crowd I can pick out the students as well. They are dressed in sneakers and tshirts with oversized bags and hats or ponytails, while the rest of the crowd is more dressed up. I realize its most likely my sloppy manner of dress that makes me look like a student, but whatever! I´ll take it!

My friend Katy is arriving tomorrow afternoon, so that should be a whole new adventure in itself. I also found out last night that my friend Luis bought a last minute ticket and will be joining me a day after Katy leaves. Good times!

3 comments:

Captain Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Captain Jack said...

bull fight!! Bull fight!! you might just fall in love with a toreador....

Kristie Love said...

No, no...I don´t have the stomach for that. We did find and old bull ring or whatever you would call it. That was sort of cool.