Sunday, February 15, 2009

Former Alcoholics Make Me Laugh

As you may or may not know, in a few short weeks I will be starting my sabbatical. What is a sabbatical? It is 8 weeks paid time off from said company for employees to "recharge" themselves. Since I will be traveling all over the U.S. and beyond, I am attempting to try and start blogging...again.

Yesterday was Valentine's Day. A fine holiday, I suppose, but it gives most males a reason not to be romantic the rest of the year. Given that I have no primary male in my life, I took to the Internet to search for one. And there I found him. He's 5'8", dark hair and eyes, 57 years old with a comedic wit to boot. His name is Robin Williams. This man has Golden Globes stacked on top of Emmys on top of Grammys on top of..well you get it. He is a well decorated entertainer, for for a mere $100, he was going to entertain me for an evening.

If you enjoy improv comedy at all, this man does it better than any I've seen. Although he does have prewritten jokes, he never sticks to the script. I saw him several years ago (and you can see this routine on his Broadway show DVD) and I was smitten. I had to see him again no matter what the cost.

Lucky me, I landed a seat in the 8th row, dead center. If I had made a run for the stage, I would have been able to grab his toe before security took me out. I was THAT close. I figured out what I like about him most is that he does *smart* comedy. What I mean by this is that anybody can tell a story or joke about themselves, but he weaves in very relevant themes with politics, the economy, even what happens in the city and state he is performing him. Even though he has been off the drugs for years, and more recently off the sauce, he still has a manic wonderful energy about him. I'm glad I chose to spend this romantic holiday with him, and a $5 chocolate chip cookie.

No comments: